Expansion of a wastewater treatment plant in Egypt

ClearFox® FBBR – Tobacco Processing Company – Egypt

Tobacco industry

Expansion of a wastewater treatment plant in Egypt

ClearFox® FBBR – Tobacco Processing Company – Egypt

Tobacco industry

Project Details

Size 7,5 m³/day
Location Egypt
Completed 2022

Project Delivery

Features ClearFox® installers on site
Use of treated wastewater for irrigation
Treatment Modules ClearFox® FBBR

Project Results

Before After
COD 5,000 mg/l <1,000 mg/l



In 2018, we already equipped a tobacco company in Egypt with a ClearFox® DAF to treat the wastewater produced there. Around 60 percent of the wastewater comes from tobacco processing – the remaining 40 percent is sanitary wastewater from the employees. On average, about 7.5 m³ of wastewater is produced daily.

The ClearFox® DAF enabled the company to discharge the treated wastewater into the public sewer system. It served as a pre-treatment step to keep the discharge fees as low as possible. However, as the company wants to use the wastewater for irrigation, stricter discharge standards are necessary, which is why an extension of the treatment plant with a biological fixed-bed reactor is the best solution.


The first challenge in this project was the provision of a stainless-steel tank in which the fixed-bed technology was to be accommodated. This had to have a volume of around 12 m³ and have the appropriate connections to be able to expand the treatment plant in the best possible way. The second challenge was to provide an installation team to install the fixed-bed technology with the aerator plates, incorporate it into the control system and put it into operation.


The team on site consisted of two experienced ClearFox® installers who were able to complete the work in just a few days. They delivered all the equipment to Egypt in advance so that they only had to install it on site. The stainless-steel tank was provided by the client, as it was more cost-effective to manufacture it locally. The ClearFox® team provided detailed drawings for this.

The ClearFox® FBBR process is an aerobic process that uses cascaded fixed bed technology to treat the wastewater. This involves net tubes made of a special growth material. Microorganisms settle on this and respire the dissolved contaminants in the wastewater. The combination of ClearFox® DAF and ClearFox® FBBR is the ideal solution for treating wastewater for direct discharge.

Have a question about your own project?

Fill out this field
Please enter a valid email address.
Fill out this field
You need to agree with the terms to proceed

Featured Modules

ClearFox FBBR technology for wastewater treatment
ClearFox stainless-steel tank

Explore our ClearFox® success stories